Varca is a picturesque village enclosed with lush green trees with fields running parallel to the Arabian Sea in the West, River Sal in the East with the residential areas in the midst. To the North is Benaulim and the South bordering Orlim and a strip of Carmona. People in here were hard working, agriculturist planting rice fields in the rainy season. Vegetable chillies, onions, sweet potatoes were grown during the winter. These crops made them self sufficient. Now times have changed people rely on imported stuff.
Mode of transport, there were no "TAR" roads. There were "KACHCHA ROADS" Red stone and soil. Vehicles called "Careiras or Carmintrao" plying from Margao through Varca to Cavelossim. People Travelled with their luggage in these vehicles. Bullock carts were common. Boys travelled on cycles, either to school or to Margao, ladies did not drive any vehicles. Present day we find ladies driving scooters and cars. After the 1st Assembly, development commenced One bus "Leyland" was plying from Margao through Varca to Cavelossim and that also certain timings.
The church of Our Lady of Gloria has completed 314 years. VARCA gets its name, from the name 'GLORY' in KONKANI meaning "OROK". The same was changed to VARCA.
The names of the Parish Priest commencing from 1948. Fr. Xavier Pinto, Fr. Alvaro Pinto, Fr. Salvador Dias, Fr. Barnabe Furtado, Fr. Rosario Menezes, Fr. Minguel Godinho (late), Fr. Aluim Esteves (late), Fr. Martinho Gomes, Fr. Nazario Godinho (late), Fr. Dinesh John Mendonsa, Fr. Luis Coutinho and Fr. Candido Fernandes till date.
St. Mary's High school was established in 1948 with Fr. Xavier Pinto as the Principal. Classes were carried out at the Bombay Club building. Later Fr. Salvador Dias laid the foundation stone in 1976 for the new building situated on the right of the Parochial building.
The first batch of 12 students appeared for S.S.C. Exam in 1968. Students in around Varca availed of education. The school produced doctors, nurses, engineers, teachers, priests, nuns. The teachers also gave in their best to shape and mould the students.
Past is history, present is changed for better. People have moved to the Gulf,UK, USA, Boarded the ships for better prospects. New bungalows, hotels, change in life style has made VARCA proud. Politicians have also made lots of developments- Power supply, tar roads, water supply.
The future is a 'MYSTERY' Hope the future generation keeps VARCA GREEN AND CLEAN AND SAFE.
The village Panchayat of Varca was started in 1968 as only Varca Village Panchayat before this we share it with Orlim Village. The first Sarpanch was Dr. Maurilio Furtado.
As the population of Varca village was increasing ones the years , a need for larger space was required so new and bigger premises were constructed in 2007 under M.P.L.A.D scheme.
On the ground floor of the Panchayat Ghar there exist Post Office , Health Centre, Animal Husbandary, Electricity Dept. office.
The Second floor of Panchayat ghar is the multipurpose hall which is constructed under golden jubilee funds & Panchayat fund. The hall can be used for parties , seminars , conference etc. Rent for such events is Rs 3000/- low budget so that all villagers avail benefit and enjoy the same.
The Panchayat is consist of 7 words and 7 members.
- 1st Ward:- Chadvaddo and Novangully (Part ) headed by Panch Simon Fernandes
- 2nd Ward :- Razvaddo, Guneavaddo, Langottem, Sonvaddo and uddo Laxetti (Part) panch (Dy. srapanch ) Mrs Tercy C Fernandes
- 3rd Ward:- Laxette (part) and Calvaddo Panch Reginald Rodrigues
- 4th Ward :- Peda Noemio, and Pedda Uttordoxi Panch Mrs. Luiza Rodrigues
- 5th Ward:- Reprovaddo , and Novangully (Part) panch (Sarpanch) Crosly Charlton Lourenco
- 6th Ward:- 1st Fatrade, Cobia Pedda and Pedda Dumotiem Panch Roland Fernandes
- 7th Ward:- 2nd Fatrade Panch Mrs. Vincetina Fernandes.